Kyoto is a big city surrounded by mountains, the main ones being Higashiyama, Kitayama, and Nishiyama.
Kyoto was established in 794 as the capital and over the next 1,000 years developed into a historical and cultural city. Kyoto has managed to preserve its history and culture and has become known as the cultural capital of Japan, both at home and abroad. Kyoto has not limited itself to the old; it continues to make efforts in developing new art, culture and traditions. This combination of the old and new, and the artistic atmosphere of Kyoto, is in sharp contrast to other cities in Japan.
Many traditional industries such as Nishijin-ori, which originated in Kyoto, are still kept in accordance with tradition, while high-tech industries have been established in recent years.
As for the population, about 10% of the 1,464,018 people living in Kyoto City are college and university students. The statistics show that Kyoto is the No. 1 university city in Japan, which is an indicator of its academic quality and vitality.
|Monthly Precipitation (mm)|
|Monthly Average Temperature (℃)|
|Monthly Average Humidity (％)|
Students are expected to make their own arrangements. The university will assist students in finding accommodation.
Here is some information on the types of housing available in Kyoto.
There is usually a kitchen, toilet and bath in every apartment.
There are also apartments available where a tenant may rent only a room and share the kitchen, toilet and bath with other tenants.
Most students staying in the latter type of apartment go to nearby public bath houses.
One room with a kitchen and a bath and toilet unit. The rent is higher than that of an apartment room, since the buildings are made of ferro-concrete and rooms are furnished with bedding, and some other conveniences, and are air-conditioned.
The more equipment the room has, the more expensive the rent will be.
* Many apartments in Japan are unfurnished and not air-conditioned, and students will need to provide themselves with daily necessities.
* The typical room size in Japanese houses is 6 tatami mats (9m2). A tatami mat is about 180 by 90 centimeters. The size of Japanese rooms is usually measured by the number of tatami mats it contains.
Rent is normally paid on a monthly basis. The following shows the average monthly rent in Kyoto City.
* Common service fees are fees for facilities shared by tenants.
When the contract to rent a room is signed, the tenant must pay a lump sum of money known as SHIKIKIN and REIKIN to the landlord.
SHIKIKIN (key-money and/or deposit): a sum of money to be paid to the landlord as security money for possible damages. SHIKIKIN will be refunded upon vacating the room after a check has been made for any delinquency of rent and/or damage to the property.
REIKIN (remuneration): a non-refundable fee to be paid to the landlord when the contract is signed.
* SHIKIKIN and REIKIN combined amounts to around 2 to 6 times the monthly rent.
The average monthly living cost in Kyoto is estimated at about \150,000, including rent. Therefore, approximately \1,800,000 will be needed for to stay in Japan for one year. Applicants should keep this in mind when making plans for study in Japan.
National Health Insurance is administered by the city, town or village. All foreign nationals are required to enroll in this program. The insurance covers 70% of all kinds of medical expenses, which means that the patient pays only the remaining 30% at a hospital or at a dental office, for example.
The premium for this insurance varies slightly depending on the place one lives and the person's income during the previous year. It costs foreign nationals who hold a College Student visa approximately 18,000 yen to enroll in this program.
This insurance covers medical costs paid for the treatment of injuries sustained in class or during extra-curricular activities.
The Kyoto City International Foundation provides this to foreign students of universities and junior colleges within Kyoto City .To be eligible, the student must be a resident of Kyoto City and must enroll in the National Health Insurance in advance. It costs 700 yen per month.
Students holding a College Student visa are allowed by the Japanese Government to engage in a part-time job on condition that the working hours should not exceed 28 hours a week by permission of the Immigration Bureau. However, students are not granted absences from classes to attend part-time jobs.
Foreign students should come to Japan with adequate financial support, which will enable them to pursue their studies without resorting to part-time jobs for financial survival.