The mission of the Institute of Latin-American Studies is to cultivate a comprehensive understanding of the Latin American world. The institute carries out this mission by conducting interdisciplinary research, publishing scholarly articles and books, and offering lectures and conferences to the public. The institute is the successor of the Kyoto University of Foreign Studies Mexico Research Center, which had been founded in 1980. In 2001, the focus of its work was extended to encompass all of Latin America and the institute was reestablished as the Kyoto Institute of Latin-American Studies. In 2016, the institute was renamed the Institute of Latin-American Studies, Kyoto University of Foreign Studies.
- Conducting interdisciplinary research into the culture, history, language, society, politics, economy, and environment of Latin America.
- Publishing the institute's newsletter, journal, and the results of academic research.
- Organizing and offering conferences, courses, and lectures on the language, culture, history, and current affairs of Latin America.
- Offering access to the Dr. Victor L. Urqudi library, which holds the institute's approximately 6000 titles on Latin America.
Major Works in the Collection
- Diario Oficial Official Diary of the Federation (1973~)
- Uno más uno (1989~)
- Colección Sep Setentas
- Colección Popular (Fondo de Cultura Económica)
- Breviarios (Fondo de Cultura Económica)
- Escritores Mexicanos
- Códices Prehispánicos (Fondo de Cultura Económica)
- Crónicas de América
- Complete works of Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz (Universidad Nacional Autonóma de México)
- Complete works of Alfonso Reyes (Universidad Nacional Autonóma de México)
- Latin American Weekly Report
- Historia Mexicana (El Colegio de México)
On-campus organizations related to Institute of Latin-American Studies, Kyoto University of Foreign Studies
- Honorary Consulate of the United Mexican States in Kyoto
- Honorary Consulate-General of the Republic of Nicaragua in Kyoto
- Honorary Consulate of the Republic of Guatemala in Kyoto
- Association of Latin-American Culture in Kyoto
- University Museum of Cultures
Institute of Latin-American Studies, Kyoto University of Foreign Studies
6 Kasame-cho, Saiin, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto 615-8558 Japan
TEL: 075-312-3388 /
FAX: 075-322-6237 /
E-Mail: Request form